ADVERTISEMENT

Golfing J's on PGA Tour: 2016-2017 season begins at Napa (Oct. 13-16)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
The new season begins this week at the Safeway Open in Northern California at Napa. There will be a bunch of Jackets (7) teeing it up this week in the season opener. Most I've seen. They are:
  • Roberto Castro
  • Stewart Cink
  • Matt Kuchar
  • Bryce Molder
  • Ollie Schniederjans
  • Cameron Tringale
  • Richy Werenski
Ollie and Richy of course earned their way onto the Tour this season thanks to their finishes in the Web.com Tour last season finishing 7th and 4th respectively. Matt Kuchar is one of the players to keep an eye on as a potential winner this week per pgatour.com's Power Rankings... http://www.pgatour.com/power-rankings/2016/10/10/safeway-open.html

5 Matt Kuchar
Sat T3 after 54 holes in his only prior appearance here in 2014, and then shot 76 to finish T21. Balanced bag yielded 10 top 10s in 2015-16.

Temps will be in the high 60's and low 70's, but the bad news is all 4 days have significant chance of rain. There will be limited TV coverage this week...5-8pmET Thursday thru Sunday via Golf Channel.

Hey, 500 FedEx points are available to the winner and a purse of $6M. Good luck to our 7 Golfing J's just north of the Bay Area this week.

And what about this nugget from pgatour.com...

Each year since the PGA TOUR went to a wraparound season, winning the opener has proven to be a ticket to the TOUR Championship 11 months later.

Tee times FWIW...

Thursday
11:00amET Kuchar*
11:50am Werenski
3:10pm Castro*
3:50pm Cink*
4:10pm Tringale
4:20pm Molder
5:00pm Ollie

Friday
10:20am Castro
11:00am Cink
11:20am Tringale*
11:30am Molder*
12:10pm Ollie*
3:50pm Kuchar
4:40pm Werenski*

* - starting off #10

Werenski starts his career on the Tour as a full-time member with a solid 3-under 69 today. Great to see. He, along with Castro and Tringale also at -3, is tied for 22nd.

Right behind that trio of Golfing J's is Kuchar at -2, tied for 41st. Cink & Molder shot even-par 72's today and tied for 87th with work to do tomorrow to make the cut. Ollie shoots a disappointing 3-over 75 and is tied for 129th.

Napa is calling for three-quarters of an inch of rain Friday, then same for Saturday and Sunday each day.

Great to see Werenski come out of the gate like that! When our football program falters, I can take solace in the fact that we are a golf school - and that really does take the sting out of the bite.

Also, my freshman daughter got the 2nd best score on her varsity team that finished 2nd in a tournament of 15 schools today. Man, being a parent is a heck of a ride.

No surprise, Round 2 has been suspended due to rain most of the day. I'll be surprised if they get this tournament completed in 4 rounds. More rain expected throughout the weekend.

Kooch got thru 11 holes (currently -1 for Rd 2 and -3 for the tourney) before play was suspended for darkness. Looks like the projected cut is -2. Castro (-3), Cink (-2) and Molder (-2) are inside the cut. Tringale shot a +2 74 today to sit at -1 and likely misses the cut. Ollie is +8 and done. Werenski is +1 for the day (-2 for the tourney) thru 8 holes when play was suspended and will finish his 2nd round Saturday like Kooch.

We could have 5 of the 7 GJ's making the cut.

5 Jackets wound up missing the cut unfortuntely. Werenski is having a good tournament.

I believe it was Nicholas Thompson that went into the Tech Hall of Fame on Saturday.

BTW, Jarret Jack had his Dad in place to accept his award for the "Hall".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT