ADVERTISEMENT

Game 8 Microscope: Florida State Seminoles

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Tech hosts the Noles on homecoming in late October. FSU has of course won the last 3 ACC titles which moves them 1 title ahead of Clemson with 15 for the most in ACC history.

FSU leads the all-time series over Tech 14-11-1. This of course includes a 12-game winning streak from the time FSU entered the ACC in 1992 thru 2003. Tech led the series 9-0-1 when FSU entered the ACC. The last 5 games have been very closely contested (read: by less than a TD margin). The final margins have been...

2014: 2 (FSU 37-35)
2012: 6 (FSU 21-15)
2009: 5 (GT 49-44)
2008: 3 (GT 31-28)
2003: 1 (FSU 14-13)
Avg: 3.4

FSU has a lot of holes to fill from departures and none more glaring than at QB. Clemson has been anointed the favorite to win the ACC-Atlantic as well as the ACC Champion. That should only serve to motivate the talented Noles even more. Like Clemson, FSU has to play both Tech and Miami as their cross-division games this year.

There have been some great games in this series. I still am angry 23 years later that the refs blew an onsides kick call to aid FSU's comeback win on Grant Field in 1992 (FSU's first game in the series as an ACC member). :mad:

Take a minute to re-live the exciting Miracle on North Avenue back in 2008...

The 2009 ACC Champion Yellow Jackets wait out the weather and outscore the Noles in Tally...(look for Joshua F'n Nesbitt taking the ball back at the 2:39 mark)

"that dadgum wishbone" :)

Can anyone come up with a plausible argument for us pulling off the upset on Saturday? Dalvin Cook figures to go for 100's of yards against our D, so it's up to the dadgum wishbone to control the game to have any shot. The line is only 5.5 so we aren't a complete lost cause in the eyes of those who set the early number. I don't share their optimism.

I am with you, predicting 45-21 Chiefs. The DB's look big, fast on tape. I thought I read no turnovers in six games? Golston had 22 last year with ND?

CPJ better take the ball first if GT wins the toss. Only possible hope is getting ahead, controlling clock, not falling behind and holding on for dear life. The defense must come with their best aggressive game. Run stunts and some blitzes. Force a turnover or two.

Special Teams must be spotless, and develop a return game on punts/kickoffs.

If Memphis can beat Ole Miss, then GT can beat FSU. This is college football after all.

how's that for a plausible argument...

I'll take your plausible argument and run with it. I want to go into homecoming weekend thinking there is some chance. BTW, the early money is rolling in on GT with the line dropping to 4.5. I guess a few folks think this will be competitive. God bless 'em.

One nitpick with that argument is that Memphis is #18 in the nation and 6-0 on the season. Otherwise, I agree. It's college foosball and these are 18-23 year olds (well, considering BYU isn't involved or it would be 18-26 year olds) so who knows?

Bring back the ghosts of 1980...GT TIES #1 NOTRE DAME! Or 1981...GT upsets ALABAMA in Birmingham (for its only win on the season).

Hmmm...wait. Scratch that. I hope we don't wind up comparing 2015 at the end with 1980 or 1981.

;)

Maybe the bettors are believing that Golson's turnover margin has to get back toward his career average.

Frankly, I am amazed the line has moved toward GT. Maybe there is some news of an impending player disaster at FSU that we have not heard about? Winston was on the sideline Saturday maybe he got the entire team in trouble somehow.

One nitpick with that argument is that Memphis is #18 in the nation and 6-0 on the season. Otherwise, I agree. It's college foosball and these are 18-23 year olds (well, considering BYU isn't involved or it would be 18-26 year olds) so who knows?

Bring back the ghosts of 1980...GT TIES #1 NOTRE DAME! Or 1981...GT upsets ALABAMA in Birmingham (for its only win on the season).

Hmmm...wait. Scratch that. I hope we don't wind up comparing 2015 at the end with 1980 or 1981.

;)
Yeah, I thought about that, but the SEC west doesn't consider any other conference as worthy of being ranked, so that #18 ranking is obviously wrong. Memphis was just a fluke game.

Maybe the bettors are believing that Golson's turnover margin has to get back toward his career average.

Frankly, I am amazed the line has moved toward GT. Maybe there is some news of an impending player disaster at FSU that we have not heard about? Winston was on the sideline Saturday maybe he got the entire team in trouble somehow.
Ain't their running back hurt and not at 100 percent?

I agree. Tech's defense is horrible. I think Cook or a backup D lineman could moon walk backwards ala Michael Jackson and register 150+ yds rushing and 3 TDs right now. The QB's jersey will be clean after 60 minutes as well because GT puts very little pressure via pass rush.

100? Dalvin will go over 200 on his third carry. I'm just hoping Jimbo makes the call to rest his hammy at that point.

Reactions: GTJT622
The best way we can stop Cook this weekend is the endzone or maybe the wall right behind the endzone if needed.

GT Defense is giving up 5.7 yards per play. Miami (5.9) and Virginia (6.1) are the only 2 ACC teams worse. We have of course played a very difficult schedule, but then again so has the French and Miami has played good competition so far as well.

GT Defense is giving up 4.9 yards per rush. That's 102nd nationally out of 128 D1A teams (read: bottom 25th percentile). That's the worst in the ACC, btw.

GT is 14th in yards rushing per carry offensively in the nation at 5.63. That is to be expected to a degree considering our run-heavy approach. FSU is right behind us at 16th in the nation at 5.50. GT has attempted 356 rushes on the season. FSU has attempted 209.

maybe so, but I am pretty sure we will tackle him at least once before he makes the endzone...

Of course we will. I mean, who would suggest such a thing? We likely will. There's no question we will. I mean, I hope we will. We should at least. We can. I hope we can. We might. I mean, we...

....ahhhhh dammit. He's going to rush for 622 yards on 8 carries. Who am I kidding?

;)

Of course we will. I mean, who would suggest such a thing? We likely will. There's no question we will. I mean, I hope we will. We should at least. We can. I hope we can. We might. I mean, we...

....ahhhhh dammit. He's going to rush for 622 yards on 8 carries. Who am I kidding?

;)
But the bright side he will be tired after running for 622 yards. Think Positive.

Reactions: Lil65
FSU currently averages gaining around 6.8 yards per play. Over the last 5 games against real competition, we have given up 6.5 yards per play. The Duke game was pretty good at 4.6, but the special teams screwed us that day. Pitt was 5.9. But, the ND, Clemson and UNC games were all over 7.

FWIW, the D last year finished at giving up 6.3 YPP over the 14-game season. Also for reference, during the Tenuta era, we were consistently in the 4.5-4.8 range in YPP allowed.

Can this Jackets defense get off the field? Let's hope so. But, preferably forcing a punt and not after a Noles TD.

Other than F$U in the ACC championship game, the Defense forced turnovers after the Heel contest.

This years bunch can't force an egg to get scrambled or a QB.

Random factoid of the day...

FSU goes for its 29th consecutive win against ACC foes. FSU holds the conference record when they got to 29 consecutive wins over GT back in 1995. The French upset the Noles on a foggy Thursday night the next game that year to end the streak at Scott Sisson Stadium.

If the Noles defeat the Good Guys as the Vegas experts think they will, the Noles can and likely will set a new standard as they host Syracuse in Week 9.

Another random factoid for the day...

The last time FSU lost a game to a team with a losing record entering the game was...

...November 5, 2005...3-4 NC State went into Doak Campbell and knocked off 7-1 and 9th ranked FSU, 20-15.

(note, the same type thing happened the year before in 2004 when 3-4 Maryland shocked the 6-1 5th ranked Noles at Byrd Stadium, 20-17)

Florida has so any athletes, it's hard not to have a great program down there.

I guess that's why the coaching at Miami has been so disappointing

He still runs for 100+ against GT even if standing on the sidelines all game

This is how bad GT is

FSU will win rather easily
A Nole here (who BTW also loves GT and Bobby Dodd was and is my hero). Tech absolutely has a decent chance to win Saturday. FSU's OL is absolutely horrendous, the OTs are FCS quality at best. Cook gets most all of his yards completely on his own, and they are hideous on pass blocking. This is the reason Golson is starting over MaGuire, because Jimbo knew the OL can't pass block. The DL is pretty good, but the DBs are awful, and if I were OC for Tech, I would have Justin throw it 25 times. The undisciplined DBs will cheat to the option so much that the passing game will be wide open.

A Nole here (who BTW also loves GT and Bobby Dodd was and is my hero). Tech absolutely has a decent chance to win Saturday. FSU's OL is absolutely horrendous, the OTs are FCS quality at best. Cook gets most all of his yards completely on his own, and they are hideous on pass blocking. This is the reason Golson is starting over MaGuire, because Jimbo knew the OL can't pass block. The DL is pretty good, but the DBs are awful, and if I were OC for Tech, I would have Justin throw it 25 times. The undisciplined DBs will cheat to the option so much that the passing game will be wide open.
Seriously? FCS quality Tackles? I am not convinced. please provide more evidence to support this opinion.

If we throw 25 times we lose.

FSU is starting a Freshman RT who literally got beat by the Louisville DE on virtually every play. Golson had zero time to sit in the pocket and throw. On the other side of the ball, the DBs are beat up, several are out (including the best on; Trey Marshall). The last two games have showed a total vulnerability to crossing routes, and the DBs are mostly out of place. Again, they will cheat to the run so much, thatg the passing game will be wide open. Just telling ya

Donsue info is really non-info. When he states that Marshall is the best DB he is kinda overlooking Jalen Ramsey who some consider one of the best in the country. The left side of the O line is definitely stronger than the right but they are improving week to week. All noles who follow the noles knew coming in that the Oline would be a work in progress.

Reactions: Lil65
glad to see more input. it is always best to have more than one source of information. And opinions from opponents are welcome.

I am pretty sure FSU has had some injuries in the secondary this season. What's the latest report saying about them?

Also heard there may be a guard unavailable as well? Has he had significant playing time?

Donsue info is really non-info. When he states that Marshall is the best DB he is kinda overlooking Jalen Ramsey who some consider one of the best in the country. The left side of the O line is definitely stronger than the right but they are improving week to week. All noles who follow the noles knew coming in that the Oline would be a work in progress.

Glad you consider my info "non info".I have watched every play FSU has had this year, and know a lot about what I see. Yes, Ramsey may be the best NFL prospect. Marshall is/was the best cover guy. FSU may indeed win going away this weekend, but I doubt it. They simply are not solid in places where it counts, and really are just "out atheliting" crappy ACC teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT