ADVERTISEMENT

Game 5 Microscope: North Carolina Tar Heels

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Tech leads this series 28-19-3. Tech has won 14 of the last 17 games. UNC of course pulled off a shootout win in the last minute at Chapel Hell last year, 48-43. While the loss was a tough one to take - especially after Tech came back to take the lead late in the game - it ultimately was perhaps the wake up call Coach Ted Roof and the defense needed as they played lights out for the rest of the way after that game.

The last time the Tar Holes have won on Grant Field was 1997. That's 8 straight wins by the Good Guys at home. UNC is the 6th most frequently played team in Tech's history at 50 games...just 1 ahead of Tulane...and just 2 behind Alabama.

The Tar Holes feature sensational QB Marquise Williams. UNC opens the entire D1A CFB season against the Gamecocks on ESPN, Thursday, September 3, at 6pmET. That game will be played at Charlotte. Should be a good one as hopefully the ACC can win a head-to-head early season matchup against the SEC. After that, UNC has 3 straight home games against NC A&T, Illinois and Delaware. If the Holes can win in Charlotte, there is a very good chance they will be 4-0 and potentially ranked when they step foot onto Grant Field for the first game of October.

Like Game 4 at Duke, I imagine Paul Johnson and the guys (especially the defense) will have this game circled. Johnson has little love for the Baby Blues to start with and coming off a loss against them, like Duke, I think the Jackets will be pretty jacked up for this one as they come home after 2 straight road games. ACC home opener. The fans should be into this one as well. Johnson is 5-2 against UNC.

In the mood for some football? One of my favorite Tech wins in this series was 20 years ago on Grant Field in 1995, 27-25, in the rain. A late interception by Tech linebacker, Ron Rogers, sealed it. Enjoy...

Last edited:
I really hated the defense after the UNC game last year. But they were able to adjust and play better. I don't think we will see the high scoring game from UNC this season.

During this 8-game home winning streak, the most points in a game UNC has scored is 28 points.

They have been pretty consistent in their scoring...

'99 = 24
'01 = 21
'03 = 24
'05 = 21
'07 = 25
'09 = 7
'11 = 28
'13 = 20

The least number of pts Tech has scored is 24 (in a 24-7 win in 2009). The next lowest is 27.

In 25 appearances on Tech's home field, UNC has scored 30+ just twice... 30-23 win over Tech in 1987 and 41-3 win over Tech in 1993. The 1987 loss was particularly tough to swallow. In Boss Ross' 2nd game as HC, Tech had a chance to win and go to 2-0 to open the season. We held a nice lead heading into the 4Q and UNC came storming back to win at the end. Who knew Tech would only win 1 game over a D1A opponent (huge upset over #8 South Carolina in 1988) over the next 2 seasons?

In 25 appearances on Tech's home field, UNC has scored 30+ just twice... 30-23 win over Tech in 1987 and 41-3 win over Tech in 1993. The 1987 loss was particularly tough to swallow. In Boss Ross' 2nd game as HC, Tech had a chance to win and go to 2-0 to open the season. We held a nice lead heading into the 4Q and UNC came storming back to win at the end. Who knew Tech would only win 1 game over a D1A opponent (huge upset over #8 South Carolina in 1988) over the next 2 seasons?

I think that game was an eye opener for the coaches. It certainly didn't make them feel better about the team. IIRC, many of the younger players got time later in the season. I think it was a direct reflection on what happened late in the UNC game. Regardless, that was one of the tough lessons the team needed to eventually get to 1990.

Let's hope we can keep the Tar Holes at 24 pts or less this weekend to have any chance whatsoever. Might need to hold them under 10 with the way this Tech offense looks right now. Our kickoff and punt return games are a joke. Sooooo slooooooooooow. And, our punt and kickoff coverage?

giphy.gif

Stripping wins and losses is so dumb because very few people are going to go back and edit their databases. Plus, the feeling of winning (or losing) the game has already come and gone. Really dumb concept. The NCAA comes up with this goofy baloney, but that should be expected because they have better things to do like investigating the University of South Dakota's Water Polo team. Apparently, they have been using horses whose eligibility has already expired.

Doesn't USD's water polo coach know horses can only be use 4 year unless during one of those years you only had 3 games at home and fill out all 2600 pages of paper work? I blame the hill.

Doesn't USD's water polo coach know horses can only be use 4 year unless during one of those years you only had 3 games at home and fill out all 2600 pages of paper work? I blame the hill.

Apparently not. And, the NCAA by Buddha needs to be spending their time with these blatant cheaters who shake and move the collegiate athletics scene. Bama football constantly cheating? Ahhhh, who cares? UNC cheating for 20 years? They didn't mean it. They was just funnin'.

But, those USD Water Polo punks? They made the list, Bub!

I also blame the Hill.

Speaking of "old nags", I sit on my tail, Mr. Pink Dress Swafford tells his own tales. Why when we send in complaints of bad officiating calls, does the office proclaim: "You were right on all of those"? Nothing comes of it! And then, why do we even bother sending stuff in?

It seems not only does the NC2A need abolishment, the conference(s) need overhauling. Me thinks no Commissioner or Cabinet Member should have any prior affiliation from attending or working at the member institutions. What say you 622 readers? O.k., the two of you wearing the old gold and white?

I'
Speaking of "old nags", I sit on my tail, Mr. Pink Dress Swafford tells his own tales. Why when we send in complaints of bad officiating calls, does the office proclaim: "You were right on all of those"? Nothing comes of it! And then, why do we even bother sending stuff in?

It seems not only does the NC2A need abolishment, the conference(s) need overhauling. Me thinks no Commissioner or Cabinet Member should have any prior affiliation from attending or working at the member institutions. What say you 622 readers? O.k., the two of you wearing the old gold and white?
I'm not wearing anything at this time so I guess I can 't answer :)

UNC's QB was the ACC offensive player of the week last week. He's riding high and will be ready to play. GT needs to execute to win.

Here to our defense to execute him.
UNC's QB was the ACC offensive player of the week last week. He's riding high and will be ready to play. GT needs to execute to win.
Well then our defense will need to execute him.

Stech-
Are you drinking more than usual? I'm worried about you without your clothes on. Is that some slurred speech about executing a QB? We need you to get past those pesky CSC Event Staff ushers on Saturday to get to your seat. Then you can carry on as usual. Using the term "carry on or carry in", very loosely.

Hey by the way men, our very own Stech is in the top 5 over on the Hive for his season long predictions. If this keeps up, GT will end up 2-10 and most of us will bee owing our bookies.

Stech-
Are you drinking more than usual? I'm worried about you without your clothes on. Is that some slurred speech about executing a QB? We need you to get past those pesky CSC Event Staff ushers on Saturday to get to your seat. Then you can carry on as usual. Using the term "carry on or carry in", very loosely.

Hey by the way men, our very own Stech is in the top 5 over on the Hive for his season long predictions. If this keeps up, GT will end up 2-10 and most of us will bee owing our bookies.
Define the word more?

I'll give you the last two games have been to drink more than usual over.

My over/under with your quantitative intake is +12. Kegs that is!

If you drink over 12, you wind up forgetting who has that pink dress on. Especially when Carolina is in town this Saturday.

good analysis. looks a lot like what Cincinnati was running against Miami. I bet Cincinnati runs it better.

I was disappointed when Hood went to UNC, I really though he'd be a good back at GT. Hope he doesn't have a big game.

good analysis. looks a lot like what Cincinnati was running against Miami. I bet Cincinnati runs it better.

I was disappointed when Hood went to UNC, I really though he'd be a good back at GT. Hope he doesn't have a big game.
Hood would have flourished in any offense he played in. I'm glad we got him. Looking forward to the trip to Atlanta tomorrow and hope the rain holds out.

Sorry to dissapoint the Carolina faithful but...I am guaranteeing a GT victory on Saturday.

It will be 14 if it is unfavorable conditions, 21-28 if not bad weather.

I picked 21-16, but now believe it will be greater than that!

I hope you're right, mate. Tech has dropped to now a 6 1/2 pt favorite, FWIW.

That line figured to shrink as money rolled in. Hope the early money was the smart money, and that the optimism on this thread is well placed. This looks to be the pivotal game of the season. A win may or may not lead to a good season, but it's hard to see them recovering from a loss here. Go Jackets!!

This is the season today, in all likelihood. An inside source(you know the friend of a cousin of a friends cousins' mom)has told me the week of practice was physical. Chaplin Derrick Moore is dropping the hammer today. Should be the game that defines our chemistry. If wrong on my speculation, this will be a long season from here on out. Coaches are making this a mandatory "all out effort game".

I'm ready to see what "this team" is made of today! Headed out now, into the slop.

You know that sequence of getting stonewalled on 4th & goal, followed by our defense forcing a huge and heroic 3 & out, followed by a lousy punt that gift-wrapped us the ball at their 36, followed by Justin's fumble, followed by a TD on UNC's first play via trickery? That sequence ripped the heart out of this Tech fan.

Sorry to dissapoint the Carolina faithful but...I am guaranteeing a GT victory on Saturday.

It will be 14 if it is unfavorable conditions, 21-28 if not bad weather.

I picked 21-16, but now believe it will be greater than that!

I look forward to being disappointed more often with guarantees such as this. Jokes aside, exciting game yesterday. My late grandfather is a GT alum, so I respect GT immensely.

When you play for 28 minutes, ahead 21-0, at home and playing a mediocre team at best......well no excuse for letting all that slip away!

This game has to be the low point of the season, but you can see the potential for it to get even more disappointing. Where would the four wins come from to be bowl eligible, continue the streak that makes us among the average(subtracting the two cupcakes annually played, to get to the 4-6 record vs. the remainder of the schedule)? Pittsburgh, VPI, UVA, Miami? I'm having a problem seeing one win there, let alone all of them-based on how we just finished with UNCheat.

I was wrong about this team, but what hurts more is that we are paying this coaching staff to make this a viable follow up year from 11-3 and to supplement the majority of athletic programs at GT. Understanding the injuries made it essential to give young players a chance for experience, but what happened to the defensive adjustments? Because each series has to have some, overseeing those issues from the booth. ST is more about effort as proven by this week with some consistent play(putting the right guys in the right lanes). Watching the OLine getting shoved back into a smaller QB when you need a yard on 3rd, 4th downs to gain 6 points is inexcusable. It seems a unit is breaking down totally at the wrong time. Or divide parts like one week we miss FG's, next week we make one. One week we run the clock out before the half content to be behind because we get the ball starting the next half, this week we are throwing each down before halftime while ahead 21-7, in our own territory. Timeouts are not used, even though hurry-up offenses are shredding us down, while not even spying a running QB.

Horrible turn of events to end the first half.

But leaving the QB uncovered on so many of those read options and QB runs is what let Carolina back in the game. pitiful play by the LBs.

Questionable call of Gotsis for targeting. that was a chump call. If that's targeting, then the NCAA just needs to stop playing football.

Agree with you for changing the rule one more time. There are deliberate attempts to injure, as right now on the Clemson replay, the ND blitzer went right after Watson with a forearm to the head as his impact of charging through mid air-that was all he could reach to disrupt the pass. No call, not even a 15 yarder. With Gotsis, he tackled man up with no dirty attempt to injury or head hunt. His weight did knock him back flat and the helmets were nose to nose. The stupid rule is the problem, although they had problems with interpretation on the way it was before. It needs to be clear, but reviewed by many before ejection. Leave some leeway on the 15 yard part to the field officials.

Agree with you for changing the rule one more time. There are deliberate attempts to injure, as right now on the Clemson replay, the ND blitzer went right after Watson with a forearm to the head as his impact of charging through mid air-that was all he could reach to disrupt the pass. No call, not even a 15 yarder. With Gotsis, he tackled man up with no dirty attempt to injury or head hunt. His weight did knock him back flat and the helmets were nose to nose. The stupid rule is the problem, although they had problems with interpretation on the way it was before. It needs to be clear, but reviewed by many before ejection. Leave some leeway on the 15 yard part to the field officials.

do they review the ejection and the game penalty for next week?

Tech leads this series 28-19-3. Tech has won 14 of the last 17 games. UNC of course pulled off a shootout win in the last minute at Chapel Hell last year, 48-43. While the loss was a tough one to take - especially after Tech came back to take the lead late in the game - it ultimately was perhaps the wake up call Coach Ted Roof and the defense needed as they played lights out for the rest of the way after that game.

The last time the Tar Holes have won on Grant Field was 1997. That's 8 straight wins by the Good Guys at home. UNC is the 6th most frequently played team in Tech's history at 50 games...just 1 ahead of Tulane...and just 2 behind Alabama.

The Tar Holes feature sensational QB Marquise Williams. UNC opens the entire D1A CFB season against the Gamecocks on ESPN, Thursday, September 3, at 6pmET. That game will be played at Charlotte. Should be a good one as hopefully the ACC can win a head-to-head early season matchup against the SEC. After that, UNC has 3 straight home games against NC A&T, Illinois and Delaware. If the Holes can win in Charlotte, there is a very good chance they will be 4-0 and potentially ranked when they step foot onto Grant Field for the first game of October.

Like Game 4 at Duke, I imagine Paul Johnson and the guys (especially the defense) will have this game circled. Johnson has little love for the Baby Blues to start with and coming off a loss against them, like Duke, I think the Jackets will be pretty jacked up for this one as they come home after 2 straight road games. ACC home opener. The fans should be into this one as well. Johnson is 5-2 against UNC.

In the mood for some football? One of my favorite Tech wins in this series was 20 years ago on Grant Field in 1995, 27-25, in the rain. A late interception by Tech linebacker, Ron Rogers, sealed it. Enjoy...

GT Recruiting, unofficial visits:

Tancey Richardson unofficially visits Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
October 03, 2015

Kenney Britt unofficially visits Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
October 03, 2015

Other notes:

UNC overcame the largest deficit in team history when they came back from 21-0 down, to win 38-31.

Also since this statistic has been tracked back to 1950, this was the largest lead GT has blown 21-0.

Last edited:
I was wracking my brains trying to come up with a game in which we blew a 21 point lead. After coming up empty, I wrote it off to a failing memory damaged by age and alcohol. Knowing that blowing a 21 point lead is indeed unprecedented makes me feel younger and less damaged.

do they review the ejection and the game penalty for next week?
I thought the ejection was a bad call at first as well. Although, looking at this pic, one can see why it was called since the high hits and leading with helmet on QB are point of emphasis, but very subjective.
North%20Carolina%20Georgia%20Te-6.jpg

What is not subjective are first down's require 10 years (not 9 1/2). How in the hell a first down was granted on this measurement is beyond me and what really needs to be reviewed by ACC officiating office.
CQbKXodUcAAOzzw.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT