ADVERTISEMENT

Game 2 Microscope: Tulane

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
The Jackets helped the Green Wave inaugurate their new on-campus stadium (Yulman) last year. The game was tied 21-21 before Harrison Butker nailed a 46 yard field goal at the very end of the first half to take Tech to the locker room with a narrow 3 pt lead. As Tech did so well in most all of their games last year, the second half defense was terrific shutting out the Greenies while Tech scored 2 TD's - one set up by a blocked punt - to win 38-21.

Many of us older fartekers remember playing Tulane annually. We both left the SEC. We both struggled as independents. Tech getting into the ACC saved us. Tulane not getting into a major conference really hurt them in my opinion.

Tech leads the all-time series 36-13. Tech is 20-4 over Tulane on Grant Field and 16-9 in NOLA. The last time Tulane trekked to Tech for a game was 1980 when they trounced what ultimately turned out to be a 1-9-1 Tech team to the tune of a 31-14 final. Prior to that loss, Tech had won 17 straight over the Greenies in Atlanta.

The biggest game of the series has to be 1956 which is the only time both teams were ranked. Tech entered the game #3 in the nation and the Green Wave was #15. Tech destroyed Tulane that late October day, 40-0.

Tulane is the 7th most frequently played opponent in Tech's illustrious history per Georgia Tech's Football Information Guide. Tulane has been to 12 bowl games in its history going 4-8 in those appearances. Its last appearance in a bowl game was 2013 when they lost in the New Orleans Bowl. Tommy Bowden led them to a magical season going a perfect 12-0 back in 1998. Tulane does lay claim to one SEC title back in 1949.

Some famous alumni of Tulane include Newt Gingrich, Lauren Hutton, Matt Forte, and my uncle (who is a doctor in middle Georgia) :). Welcome back to Tech to the Green Wave faithful. Will be great to see them running out onto Grant Field once again.

The GT defense was completely different in those two halves last season. I know they made some changes in that game, but I never really went back and really detailed out what they did. But the Tulane game was one of the turning points for the defense. They started getting it in the second half. They knew at the end of that game they could stop people from scoring.

The Pitt game was when they decided that they really could force turnovers and take the ball away from the offense.

Those two revelations made the defense much better last year.

I expect to see more growth this season.

It is rare that a Tech defense (or any for that matter) potentially is going to start as many as 8 seniors. While that's a lot of starters to replace the following season, it really points to if Tech is ever going to make a legit run at the playoffs in the current 4-team format with no auto bids, this is a great shot in 2015.

Great videos from the past in this series...

1944 at Grant Field...#13 Jackets defeat Tulane 34-7 with Frank Broyles at QB for the NATS...

And, here's video of the 40-0 win by Tech in 1956 when Tech was ranked #3 and the Green Wave was ranked #15...

How about a 1970 win at home 20-6?...

Enjoy!

Go Jackets!

ADVERTISEMENT