ADVERTISEMENT

Do we have a volunteer to compute football forecasts in this forum?

Buzzforlife

Sep 14, 2015
Duluth, Ga.
Since we don't do math here, this project might encompass 12-15 G.T. game weeks of a home project for someone. We do have some followers, so you might have to include appox. 10-20 predictions per game week.

This thread can be deleted either way. Only trying to toss this out there to get us started. Please don't blame me for the formula below, top secret and it involves calculations:
=((((E3 = B3) * (F3 = D3) * 2) + ((E3 > F3) * (B3 > D3)) + ((F3 >= E3) * (D3 >= B3))) * (COUNT(B3, D3:F3) = 4))

Last edited:
Bump up!

Doesn't matter if your formula is sophisticated like a Tech Computer Engineer or you assign points each week based on a drunken method that everyone complains about. Either way we have some fun, without losing any money.

A nomination goes out to Texwood, but hey first taker wins it!! Our hero for making the season more interesting.

So, I will volunteer to run a weekly picks contest. With only 4 or 5 of us on here, I think I can go out of my way to take on this incredibly busy and strenuous task. ;)

How do you want this to work? Straight up picks or against the spread? Spread makes every game more interesting...meaning, if we have a 4 TD favorite, picking straight up won't create much differentiation among pickers.

Do you want all games each week involving ACC teams and then a few select other games from across the CFB nation?

How many games to pick each week? 10? 15?

1 pt for each pick correct. I will start a thread each week Tuesday morning with schedule (and point spreads if that's what the 4 or 5 of you want) and all picks must be submitted by 4pmET on Thursday via reply.

I would add some different flavor like a Lock pick to designate for an extra bonus point each week, but I'm too lazy to keep up with that.

I'll gladly run it and post a leaderboard and so forth. Let me know what you'd like.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
So, I will volunteer to run a weekly picks contest. With only 4 or 5 of us on here, I think I can go out of my way to take on this incredibly busy and strenuous task. ;)

How do you want this to work? Straight up picks or against the spread? Spread makes every game more interesting...meaning, if we have a 4 TD favorite, picking straight up won't create much differentiation among pickers.

Do you want all games each week involving ACC teams and then a few select other games from across the CFB nation?

How many games to pick each week? 10? 15?

1 pt for each pick correct. I will start a thread each week Tuesday morning with schedule (and point spreads if that's what the 4 or 5 of you want) and all picks must be submitted by 4pmET on Thursday via reply.

I would add some different flavor like a Lock pick to designate for an extra bonus point each week, but I'm too lazy to keep up with that.

I'll gladly run it and post a leaderboard and so forth. Let me know what you'd like.
Not that I need to kiss up but it can't hurt

I'll send these to you this week

th

I know it will only last 1 week but it is a start.

Thanks, mate. I am completely open, willing and capable of scoring inaccuracies based on gifts received from participants. The world is not a fair place and I'm not a fair scorer. I'm the Russian judge on performance enhancing drugs (though you kind of figured that last part when you learned I am Russian).

Totally on your taste to set up. I just wanted to stay off the Hive, even though I placed in the top 30 at the end. They only pick scores on Tech games, as you probably already know.

Dislike putting an added chore(it is one to me, although the picking part is fun)on you, since you give a ton of time to us constantly.

Allow me to bow in fortitude, no matter how this turns out. Although, you will do incredibly better than myself. A huge thank you!

Hope you don't mind Buzzforlife, Jr. playing? F$U is gaining on him in fandom to GT in football, so he might have us 15-0 and them 14-1(if even possible).

Sounds good, mate. I'll post on Tuesdays with a new thread the following (starting August 30)...

1. Current scoreboard and previous week's results by poster
2. Games to pick of all games involving ACC teams along with point spreads...though we all know those spreads change throughout the week, we will go with whatever is posted Tuesday morning (memories of old parlay cards being handed out at the weekly staff meeting come to mind from 25 years ago....ahhhh the memories)...so, the number of games will vary week-to-week dependent on some ACC teams being off, playing conference or non-ACC games, etc.
3. Include a few bigger games involving non-ACC teams (2 or 3 maybe) of interest each week (e.g., Tennessee vs Cesspool)

1 pt for each correct guess versus the spread. A push against the spread counts like a miss with zero points.

OK, here's the deal, as advised in earlier reply I will post games each week in a new thread on Tuesdays. I'll keep up with everything and post a scoreboard/standings each Tuesday. I'll try to put 10 games up with point spreads as pulled from consensus Vegas lines as of Tuesday morning. Please make picks via reply by Thursday afternoon. Hell, there's only like 6 or 7 of us max, so this shouldn't be too difficult to keep up with.

A few notes...

1. I'll list the game number, date/time/TV and spread listing the favorite always (i.e., "-13")
2. I'm avoiding any games against D1AA opponents
3. I'll list all ACC games against D1A opponents as the priority
4. Then, select some high-profile games to get to 10 plays each week
5. I will include my picks in a thread reply

An example of the way this will look come Tuesday, Aug. 30, will be...

Game 1: Sep. 1, Thu, 7:00 (RSN) Charlotte at Louisville -39.5

You just need to reply with whether you think Louisville will cover that 39.5 pts or Charlotte will keep the final margin under.

Here are the 10 games to ponder for next Tuesday that I'll be posting in a new thread...(will add point spreads of course)

Game 1: Sep. 1, Thu, 7:00 (RSN) Charlotte at Louisville
Game 2: Sep. 1, Thu, 7:00 (ACC Network Extra) Tulane at Wake Forest
Game 3: Sep. 3, Sat, 7:30am (ESPN-2) Georgia Tech vs Boston College -- at Dublin, Ireland
Game 4: Sep. 3, Sat, 12:00 (ABC) Oklahoma vs Houston -- at Houston Texans Stadium
Game 5: Sep. 3, Sat, 3:30 (ABC) LSU vs Wisconsin -- at Lambeau Field, Green Bay
Game 6: Sep. 3, Sat, 5:30 (ESPN) North Carolina vs Georgia -- at Ga Dome
Game 7: Sep. 3, Sat, 8:00 (ABC) Southern Cal vs Alabama -- at Cowboys Stadium, Arlington TX
Game 8: Sep. 3, Sat, 9:00 (ESPN) Clemson at Auburn
Game 9: Sep. 4, Sun, 7:30 (ABC) Notre Dame at Texas
Game 10: Sep. 5, Mon, 8:00 (ESPN) Ole Miss vs Florida State -- at Orlando, FL

Sound OK? Suggestions? Complaints? Anger? Oppression? Bribes?

Sounds super fantastic! More complete by having ten games. Should we predict the Tech score as a weekly tie-breaker at the bottom of our individual picks? Should we wind up in a season tie, may I nominate Stech81 as the predetermined champion, since he has all the assets(your card, plenty of beer, my psychiatric evaluation). Glad you both aren't related to me, because it only takes two family members to get one committed. This is not a proclamation, more of an announcement before my future announcement on the sanity of a commitment.

No complaints, you're the man. No anger, I've already got 15 on ignore for this site(thanks for enlightening me, I can't see DTM or those advertising posts-so not oppressed these days).

For bribes, since Stech81 isn't providing a list of wives for public consumption this election year....might I offer you 622 of the Decatur St. Darlings, for some favorable mathematic addition at the end of the 14 week term? I'm sure to pick the two GT bye-week ties, however the other 138 wrong calls will need a reversal.

May God and Buddha bless you over and over again,
Your mates Buzzforlife and Buzzy, Jr. for life.

I'm in. Thank you. Should be fun

Welcome aboard, mate. Hopefully, we can get at least 7 folks to participate.

I forgot to advise the winner will get 2 season tickets to Braves games in 2017. Runner-up gets 4.

I'm not going to worry about picking scores. I'm too lazy to keep up with that.

I'll try to run this through Week 14, which is the conference championship game weekend. Though, if we lose at Hell, which I'm guessing we will, I will need more than usual time to recover so heads up well in advance on that one.

OK, here's the deal, as advised in earlier reply I will post games each week in a new thread on Tuesdays. I'll keep up with everything and post a scoreboard/standings each Tuesday. I'll try to put 10 games up with point spreads as pulled from consensus Vegas lines as of Tuesday morning. Please make picks via reply by Thursday afternoon. Hell, there's only like 6 or 7 of us max, so this shouldn't be too difficult to keep up with.

A few notes...

1. I'll list the game number, date/time/TV and spread listing the favorite always (i.e., "-13")
2. I'm avoiding any games against D1AA opponents
3. I'll list all ACC games against D1A opponents as the priority
4. Then, select some high-profile games to get to 10 plays each week
5. I will include my picks in a thread reply

An example of the way this will look come Tuesday, Aug. 30, will be...

Game 1: Sep. 1, Thu, 7:00 (RSN) Charlotte at Louisville -39.5

You just need to reply with whether you think Louisville will cover that 39.5 pts or Charlotte will keep the final margin under.

Here are the 10 games to ponder for next Tuesday that I'll be posting in a new thread...(will add point spreads of course)

Game 1: Sep. 1, Thu, 7:00 (RSN) Charlotte at Louisville
Game 2: Sep. 1, Thu, 7:00 (ACC Network Extra) Tulane at Wake Forest
Game 3: Sep. 3, Sat, 7:30am (ESPN-2) Georgia Tech vs Boston College -- at Dublin, Ireland
Game 4: Sep. 3, Sat, 12:00 (ABC) Oklahoma vs Houston -- at Houston Texans Stadium
Game 5: Sep. 3, Sat, 3:30 (ABC) LSU vs Wisconsin -- at Lambeau Field, Green Bay
Game 6: Sep. 3, Sat, 5:30 (ESPN) North Carolina vs Georgia -- at Ga Dome
Game 7: Sep. 3, Sat, 8:00 (ABC) Southern Cal vs Alabama -- at Cowboys Stadium, Arlington TX
Game 8: Sep. 3, Sat, 9:00 (ESPN) Clemson at Auburn
Game 9: Sep. 4, Sun, 7:30 (ABC) Notre Dame at Texas
Game 10: Sep. 5, Mon, 8:00 (ESPN) Ole Miss vs Florida State -- at Orlando, FL

Sound OK? Suggestions? Complaints? Anger? Oppression? Bribes?
Only one complaint I'm out of beer.

Sooooo if I win in stuck with Braves tickets??? I live in Michigan. Can I trade for a case of PBR instead?

Sooooo if I win in stuck with Braves tickets??? I live in Michigan. Can I trade for a case of PBR instead?

Braves tickets won't be equivalent value to a case of PBR. PBR much more valuable. Perhaps I can talk stech81 into using my credit card to send you a case of PBR. But, please remember to send back the empty cans to him as he needs them for building statues of 7th graders Buzzforlife advises us who will be playing for Tech one day in the future.

I tell you what, I'll also throw in a warped London Calling cassette tape by The Clash, The Only Band That Matters by the way. The cassette tape case has a crack in it, but you'll have to deal with it. I recently found it underneath one of the captains chairs in my 1998 Mercury Villager (aka The Shaggin' Wagon).

But, I digress.

Reactions: RyanS12
wow, so I come back to check the latest recruiting news and find a new game has started. sounds like fun...

just so I have everything.

ten games to pick
deadline is Thursday @4
only picking winner to cover or not
1 point per correct pick
is there a bonus game or not? Maybe the Sat 8pm game should be the bonus game?

I know it's not part of the games you have listed but I took Cal -19.5. Anyone else play the spread on any sites? This is like my pre season game . Lol

I thought about the over as well. This is a tough game to figure out. First game of the year. Very neutral location. Lots of travel, distractions and rust to shake off for both teams. I think it starts slow but Cal opens up in the second half. I'm interested to see how Hawaii comes out next week in Ann Arbor. Flying to Australia then cross county a week later.

I think your pick is good. I'll be a bit surprised if Cal scores less than 42 pts in this game.

Onsides kicking to start the game is really stupid. That's the time the opposition's front 5 on the return team will be MOST alert to a possible onsides try. You have to wait and watch them a couple of times to see if they start to pay less attention and start retreating early.

Then again, maybe Hawaii thought this was going to be their only kickoff of the game. ;)

You are $100 richer this morning. Well done. We both start the season on the right foot. Woohoo!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT