ADVERTISEMENT

CFB Pick'Em Contest: Week 2 of 14

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Standings after Week 1: (note, GT-BC game was a push)

GTJT622 7-2
Texwood 6-3
SPRITE6 6-3
BornAJacket 6-3
stech81 5-4
RyanS12 5-4
BFLJr. 4-5
BuzzForLife 3-6

Week 2 games and spreads below. Please submit picks via reply by 4pm Thursday like normal. Thanks.

Game 1: Fri 8:00 (ESPN-2) Louisville -14.5 at Syracuse

Game 2: 12:00 (ESPN) Penn State at Pitt -6.0

Game 3: 12:00 (ESPN-U) NC State -5.0 at ECU

Game 4: 3:30 (CBS) Kentucky at Florida -16.0

Game 5: 3:30 (ESPN-U) Wake at Duke -5.0

Game 6: 7:00 (ESPN) Arkansas at TCU -7.5

Game 7: 7:00 (ESPN-2) South Carolina at Mississippi State -6.5

Game 8: 7:30 (Big 10 Network) UNC -10.0 at Illinois

Game 9: 8:00 (ABC) Tennessee -10.5 vs Va Tech - at Bristol

Game 10: 10:30 (ESPN) Virginia at Oregon -24.5

game1 Louisville -14.5
game 2 Pitt -6
game3 NC State -5
game 4 Kentucky +16
game 5 Duke -5
game 6 TCU -7.5
game 7 MIss state -.65
game 8 unc -10
game 9 Va Tech +10.5
game 10 Oregon -24.5

Mine...

Syracuse
Pitt
ECU
Florida
Duke
Arkansas
Miss State
Illinois
Va Tech (Vols win, but Hokies beat spread)
Virginia

Holding up the rear, here!
The Magnificent 7...and me!!

Syracuse
Penn. St.
E.C.U.
Florida
Duke
T.C.U.
S.C.(also known as USC-East and Vandy beaters)
Illinois
VPI Hokies
Oregon

GT(I could care less what the number is, this is game where 105 play....CJP will play if he puts a number on that Polo Shirt).

Holding up the rear, here!
The Magnificent 7...and me!!

Syracuse
Penn. St.
E.C.U.
Florida
Duke
T.C.U.
S.C.(also known as USC-East and Vandy beaters)
Illinois
VPI Hokies
Oregon

GT(I could care less what the number is, this is game where 105 play....CJP will play if he puts a number on that Polo Shirt).
Someone has to hold up the rear.

The only one of these that I like well enough to play is Va Tech against the spread so I'll lay a unit on that one. If I go 1-9 this week, here's to hoping Va Tech is the 1!

When Ole Miss was up 28-6 last night, I was thinking GTJT should start to play a parlay on his picks every week!

Bump...we've got 4 in the clubhouse and 4 out on the course. Or, it is still time for anybody who might want to join. You're only 7 strokes back of the lead after Week 1 with 13 holes to play.

OK, enough of the golf analogies.

;)

.....and you are only 3 "behind" the outhouse. Occupied by myself. Visited by the sweet, Ginger. She never bites, however my picks do! So copy at your own risk!!

BFL, Jr.
------------

Louisville wins 49-28. Covers easily.
Pittsburgh
NC St.
Kentucky
Duke
T.C.U.
S.Cocks
U.N.C.
Tenn.
Oregon wins 58-0 over 'Hoos.

'Bama defeats W.Ky. by only 1 point(49-48). My dad laughed.
G.T. wins by 70(77-7).
Mich. beats UCF by 7(37-30).
Ohio St. wins by 28 against Tulsa(55-27).

.....and you are only 3 "behind" the outhouse. Occupied by myself. Visited by the sweet, Ginger. She never bites, however my picks do! So copy at your own risk!!

Yet another golf saying to apply here...

..."it's not how you drive, it's how you arrive"

We now have 8 in the clubhouse. And, we now have our first unanimous pick...which 1) doesn't surprise me because I was surprised the line was as low as it was when it opened and think it's the play of the week and 2) means we will all miss it. :p

That play is Duke -5 over Wake.

Wake should be a decent team this year and I almost went with them...again. I'm sensing a Wake double cross on this one.

I'm rolling all of my Houston moneyline winnings on VPI+11.5. That one is juicy.

I will be inside the racing facilities in Bristol for that one, mate. Along with my son and our other 90 thousand shine sippin' fans dressed in orange. Can't wait. I too picked the Hokies to cover, though I'll be happy of course to miss that one.

The Vols played against Appy State like they were focused on the Hokies. Well, and having read all the hype about themselves over the offseason. A lot went wrong for the Vols in that game - early punt catch fumble leading to Appy St TD, losing best defensive player for targeting call (which I think was questionable), etc. The hope of all Vols fans is that we (and yes, I do say "we" having given UTK about 100 grand of my income over a 4-year period) got it all out of our system in Game 1 and the Vols team we think - and the media has hyped - really exists will come out and play ball to their potential.

Having said all that, Bud Foster is very good at what he does. My pick is truthfully as much Bud Foster +11.5 as it is VPI&SU +11.5.

Exactly. My thinking is that Bud Foster makes 11.5 a gigantic number. Fully expect UTK to win the game.

And have a great time being a part of what should be attendance history with your son! My brother and I are still floating on cloud nine after being in the house for last week's Texas game!

Hope you guys have blast and beat those Hokies! I don't mind being wrong on that game. I just prefer not to end the contest with 3 wins, like GT Football did during last season.

Wake only had 7 against Tulane. Rest my case.

BETTING ODDS TRENDS
GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS
Georgia Tech is 0-5 ATS in its last 5 games.
Georgia Tech is 2-9 SU in its last 11 games.
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Georgia Tech's last 6 games.
Georgia Tech is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home.
Georgia Tech is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home.

GTJT, this Wake spread might fall into the category of one of my most successful angles over 20 fairly successful years of gaming games. Line opens oddly low to the point that everyone bets the favorite. Line opens up in the hours before kickoff. Angle is to bet the dog to win on the moneyline after the line opens up. If I can get Wake +200 or better, I'm doing it.

Shouldn't the number move above 5, when the money is coming in on the favorite(Duke, in this case)?

Yes. But, that assumes the money will actually come in. It is still a little early right now, BION. Over 70% of the wagerers place their bets on game day. Also, Wake-Duke is far from a game that is recognized by a lot of people nationally and internationally. So, I doubt it will get a lot of play - or, at least enough play to move the line one way or the other. Having said that, Bovada has Duke at -5.5, but the consensus is still hanging at -5.

Weird opening lines like Duke -5 are numbers I used to get burned on and then went on to avoid them like the plague. Now I mostly avoid them with the exception of (rarely) taking the dog straight up late in the wagering. Last time I remember pulling the trigger on that angle was when I caught Indiana over @Missouri straight up for a pretty big number a couple years ago.

Just committed to Wake +245. That means they will lose a heartbreaker by a point or two and I'll lose both my Pick'em selection and my unit. Ouch!!

As we draw closer to Game Day Saturday, some line moves of note...

...first, the Louisville -14.5 spread moved in UofL's favor to -17 just prior to kickoff tonight. Others...

• Pitt -6 has moved in Penn State's favor to now Pitt laying 4
  • Duke -5 has moved in Duke's favor to now Duke laying 6.5
  • UNC -10 has moved in Illinois' favor to now UNC laying 7

Surprised at the move on the 'Cuse line. That spread looked solid from the get-go, and it was a coin flip for me. Most of the Pick'em contest games this week fell into that category. No strong opinions outside of VT+11.5. And Wake +245 is nothing more than a Vegas mojo angle that has worked for me (no strong opinion).

Watching college gameday and it looks like it will be quite the scene in Bristol tonight!

156k + in attendance. That must be a collegiate record for any sport?

I picked two right this week. Next week, I'll try for one...then zero the following...it shouldn't be too tough.

Some observations about Week 2 before putting it to bed for this season...

• I'll give the Hokie fans credit. They were outnumbered at least 2-to-1 inside Bristol Motor Speedway, but they were very loud. Well, at least during pregame and the 1st quarter.
  • It was my first trip to BMS (not a NASCAR fan at all). They call it "The Last Great Colosseum". I believe it.
  • We didn't go to ESPN Game Day at Bristol, but best sign we were told that was there was by a Vols fan that read... "Keep Michael Vick away from Smokey". LOL!
  • Way to go, Army! Jeff Monken has his guys 2-0 and now travel to UTEP this upcoming Saturday night (7pmET kickoff).
  • Speaking of Army, terrible news today of a cornerback who died in a car accident... http://sports.yahoo.com/news/army-cb-brandon-jackson-dies-in-car-crash-133040841.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT