ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Gregory

MariettaJacket

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2012
I am a long time lurker, but before I am hammered...a few credentials.

I was there when Rich Yunkus beat Carolina and State back to back. I was there when Sammy Drummer reined over the Metro 7. I was there when the kid whose name I forget (Scott...red hair?) drained the jumper from the corner against Wake in Bobby's first great home win. I was there when the Thrillerdome was named, I was there when Price and Sally owned the City and when we were up on UNLV at halftime. I was there when the kids walked through the lobby before the championship against UCONN in a magic scene that sends chills up the spine of any Tech Man.

I write about Our Coach with mixed emotions. He is 16-42 in conference,or thereabouts. I know it is a different time, but I was there when the little weasel in Durham was 20-39 at the same stage (I think I have the numbers right, but don't crush me if I'm off a little...).

My point is this....Slow Down, My Tech Friends. It is never as black (bad color) and white (good color) as some think it is. Yes, Brian inherited a rotten situation, has turned around the graduation situation (isn't that what we are all about?), and is a better fundamentals coach that we have seen in a very long time (Sorry, Bobby).

And, yes, the offense is not good, we don't set screens well, and My God, how many close games can we lose?, And recruiting seems dim (still, didn't he rally pretty well last year very late?).

But, we are Georgia Tech. Once, Bill Curry was 2-19-1 and we extended his contract because he was doing things the right way and we took a long term view. On the other hand, we saw Bobby was not going to make it, and we waited to let him make a decision with dignity. Presently, reasonable minds can disagree, but let's do it with class and not rant like the rabble we often mock.

There is a silent group out there that says Brian Gregory is doing a lot right.....wait one more year--Let the points guards mature...let him find one more shooter...Others, for many justifiable reasons, can say he has had enough time.

It is a tough dilemma. If the decision is made to go in a different direction, it will be hard, with consequences to a number of very decent people and families. It certainly will be nothing to be revel over. And, if the decision is to give Brian one more year, I say support it and know that we are going against the grain. We will be standing for all that is good about our little school.

Either way, Stop the ranting. Know that thoughtful folks who love our school are trying to make the right decision. And, Mad Barkly is not one of them.

Go Jackets!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News