ADVERTISEMENT

BasketJackets: Game 14 at UNC, Sat. Jan. 2, 12pm (ACC Network)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Link to ACC Network affiliates carrying game: http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-basketball-on-acc-network-georgia-tech-at-north-carolina-01-02-2016

CBG's teams have been competitive, if nothing else, with every program in the ACC at one time or another...with exception of the Tar Holes. UNC has pretty much dominated every game from opening tip to the final buzzer. The main gap is Tech has not had the offensive firepower to score and keep up with UNC's pace. This year might be different and I stress "might". Forgive me for the I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it viewpoint. However, there is no question at all that this is the most talented and capable offensive team CBG has during his time as Tech's HC. And, for a change the word "offensive" isn't used in a derogatory way about our performance offensively.

UNC defeated Clemson Wednesday night to open the ACC schedule. This comes off a home win Monday night over UNC-Greensboro. The Tar Holes host us of course Saturday before trekking to Tallahassee to face the Noles for their 4th game in 8 days on Monday.

As usual nowadays, UNC is bringing in guys off their bench who are more highly decorated guys entering their program than Tech is starting for the most part. UNC is 12-2/1-0 on the season and ranked #7 in the nation. Their 2 losses are at Northern Iowa and at Tejas. UNC has 5 - count 'em, FIVE!!! - guys averaging scoring 12 points a game or more. Quite the potent offensive balance. Brice Johnson leads the way at 15.3 and ACC POTY candidate, Marcus Paige, is right behind him at 15.0. Big man - and I mean BIG - Kennedy Meeks did not play versus Clemson Wednesday night and earlier this week Head Cheater, Roy Williams, stated he didn't expect Meeks to play against the Jackets either. Of course, UNC just enters another stud in his place so no tears heading their way.

It will be interesting to see if Tech can run at the pace UNC wants to go. If we can, this will be a high flying fun game to watch that could easily see teams in the 85+ points scored range. As always when playing on the road, Tech needs to get off to a good start and try to withstand the runs that will certainly come. Students out of session, early tip, UNC in a stretch of 4 games in 8 days, perhaps looking past us to FSU...the opportunity exists for Tech to shock the Holes.

Tech is 24-66 all-time against the Cheaters and 5-30 in Chapel Hell. As stated above, CBG's teams have been horrendous against UNC. The closest margin of loss in the 0-6 record against them is 12 pts and the average margin of victory for the Cheaters is a whopping 19 pts per game during those 6 meetings. Again though, this is the most potent team offensively that CBG will put out there to hopefully be able to keep up with the pace that UNC will most likely dictate.

This is the only regular season meeting this year between the 2 teams so at minimum Tech gets a tough conference road game against a favorite in the rear view mirror out of the way. Our guys' legs should be fresh and ready to go. Go Jackets!

Reactions: Texwood
Once again, excellent preview, analysis and insight. Perfect to go with the morning caffeine addiction, or beer run if fortunate to be a fully retired man now. Thank you for taking the time to put all of this together, especially over all of these years, GTJT622!

Strange how Bobby C. could beat the Heels, John "Whack" was a Rupp's Runts killer over the 'Cats.

CBG seems to pull a big road upset every season, maybe this is the one?

Stan Awtrey article..."Tech has another tough ACC opener"...

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/acc/georgia-tech/article52661405.html

"We're very prepared," senior guard Marcus Georges-Hunt said. "We had a great offseason. The stuff we went through has prepared us all for what's to come. There will be a lot of thunderstorms and a lot of adversity, but I feel like what we did in our offseason all helped us, brought us together to become even stronger."

The schedule doesn't get any easier. The Yellow Jackets play Tuesday at No. 25 Pittsburgh before returning home Jan. 9 to play No. 5 Virginia.

"Maybe we had a slip-up here and there in the non-conference, but at 10-3, I feel good about where we're at because I still think we can keep getting better," Gregory said.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Outstanding first half for the Good Guys. Typical crybaby entitled Cheater fans at the end. One of the top 3 most disgusting fanbases in the world. It's sickening that these scumbags get away with 20 years of systemic cheating.

Tech will have to be at least 10 pts better than the Cheaters in the 2nd half because as normal the refs will give them all the calls in the final 20.

Other than some very questionable decisions by T-Jax, overall solid play across the board. Adam Smith is sensational. I hope he takes at least another 5 3-pt attempts in the 2nd half.

Valiant effort on the road against the ACC favorites. Once again though, we see Tech crumble in the last 5 minutes of the game. If games only ended at 35 minutes.

Encouraging though. Lots of good to take away from today. Brice Johnson is a punk, but no surprise for that program.

Need to get one at Pitt Wednesday night.

Valiant effort on the road against the ACC favorites. Once again though, we see Tech crumble in the last 5 minutes of the game. If games only ended at 35 minutes.

Encouraging though. Lots of good to take away from today. Brice Johnson is a punk, but no surprise for that program.

Need to get one at Pitt Wednesday night.
Agree on Brice Johnson. There's one thing to be emotional but to try and show up the refs call after call is a joke. And Josh Jackson may have the most disproportionate head to body size I've ever seen. Looks like one of the large heads you see in the crowds in student sections. But as far as the game goes. Great effort. Got away from what got us the lead by going inside out. Smith is streaky but I love his game. Has balls to take and make tough shots. MGH looks good getting to the rim but had to be more consistent with FT shooting. PG play is at the bottom of the league. Heath plays within himself. Jorg looks like he's never gotten over the knee injury. Our bigs will keep us in a lot of games. We just have to play smart and close them out. If we bring this effort every game in league play I can see 9 wins.

Chuck had some silly, perhaps just unfortunate, fouls. We need him for more than 18 minutes.

The PG position gave us 11 assists to 4 TO's. But, only 2 pts scored on 5 field goal attempts.

White and Stephens were essentially invisible in this game. Lammers continues to grow and it is great to see. He potentially will get close to or more than 30 minutes a game next year.

MGH went 12 of 15 from the FT line (80%). The only other player to shoot FT's was Lammers (3 of 4). As I kind of expected, I looked at the clock with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half and UNC is not only in the bonus, but they are in the double-bonus. Tech wasn't even in the bonus yet.

Glad that one is in the rear view mirror. Lots to build on from that game. But, we can't just get moral victories right now. Let one get away that we could have stolen. Need to get the same game at Pitt next Wednesday, but better execution down the stretch. And, we need better contributions from White and Stephens...and D-Jax, who remains a complete mystery to me. One of the most inconsistent players we've had in a while. Being a 3* graded prospect out of HS, I didn't expect much out of him as a frosh...expected growth in year 2 (ala Lammers as we are seeing)...and then, be a solid contributor his final 2 seasons. I still think we can and hopefully will get that from him, but the jury is definitely out. Shot selection and decision making still baffles my mind watching him and perhaps will stymie his potential playing time moving forward (only got 7 minutes today and don't recall much time at all in the 2nd half).

Reactions: rschlee11
I was disappointed that GT could not keep the lead in the 2nd half.

Could have started the ACC off with a bang. You can count on UNC getting a few calls at home every game. Hopefully the team will continue to play like they did early and win some of the close games this year.

Random stat...

...no major surprise, but home teams are 7-1 in conference games so far. The lone road win was expected (Duke over BC). The Hokies come back to clip the Pack in OT in Blacksburg.

Wake travels to Louisville tomorrow night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT