ADVERTISEMENT

7 Weeks to Toe Meets Leather...Game 5 Preview: Miami

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Mark Richt rolls into Atlanta on a field where he has never lost as a head coach (sobering thought for the day). This time though, he's with his alma mater. This will be Richt's first ACC game as HC in his career. The Canes open with home games against Florida A&M and Florida Atlantic before traveling to Appalachian State (no, that's not a misprint...the Canes are traveling to Appalachian State in Week 3). They have a week off in Week 4 to prep for their trip to Grant Field. Tech has a couple of extra days as well coming off our 2nd ACC game of the season on Thursday night hosting Clemson.

Game Info: Oct. 1, Time and TV TBA...note, the marquee ACC game of the day potentially (likely?) will be the Noles hosting the Cheaters this day...Clemson also hosts Louisville in what is a big day for ACC FB...Duke hosts Virginia...and NC State hosts Wake

Last Meeting: Miami trounced the Jackets in South Florida in the rain, 38-21. Tech scored on its opening drive to take a 7-0 lead, but it was all Canes from there on as JT5 was injured on that opening drive. Tech fumbled 9 times that day, though "only" losing 2.

All-time series: Tech leads the series, 11-10, though the Canes have won 6 of the last 7. Tech is 9-4 at home and won the last meeting on Grant Field in 2014, 28-17, as Tech played keep away most of the game dominating TOP and keeping the Canes offense on the sidelines. Tech had the ball for 40 minutes of the game and had 72 offensive plays to Miami's 44. The previous game in 2012 wound up with Tech blowing a late lead (Tech up 36-22 entering 4Q) and Miami prevailing in overtime, 42-36.

Miami Offense: For the 2nd game in a row, Tech will face one of the potential top picks in next spring's NFL draft in QB Brad Kaaya. Certainly, Ted Roof and staff should have tons of familiarity not only with Mark Richt's offense, but Miami's personnel. With an extra week to prepare - and perhaps playing it vanilla during an opening stretch of 3 games they should win perhaps easily - it is reasonable to guess Richt will open up his playbook and offer some surprises in this game. Miami rarely has to worry about athletes. They are loaded with them. Richt should have plenty of video on Tech's defense and he knows Roof as well as Roof knows him. The difference could be that Tech has already faced a dynamic and explosive offense in Clemson so our guys should be well prepared. I'm not sure Miami's offense will have faced guys like Gamble, Mitchell, Gray and so forth so far.

Miami Defense: Manny Diaz comes over after 1 year as Mississippi State's D-Coord. to run the D for Richt. Note, he was NOT at Miss State when our scholars kicked their ass all over the field in the Orange MEG 2 seasons ago. CPJ has an extra 2 days to prep here and hopefully the guys are refreshing/healing up some from 2 months into the season from the start of practice in early August at this time. I can't see where any of Diaz's defensive staff have any ties to Richt at the Cesspool or experience going up against CPJ and our funky offense. I guess we'll see what Miami's D looks like in their early season soft games. Appalachian State does run some option game so we'll see in Week 3 at Boone how the Canes handle it.

What I Expect To Happen: I originally had this one written off as a loss. I think it will be very closely contested from opening kickoff to the final whistle. Miami getting extra time to prepare helps them, but that helps every team normally. I think getting an extra 2 days will (or should) help Tech as well. Tech could be coming off a dramatic, huge upset of Clemson OR may be entering this game like an angry bunch of yellow jackets trying to avoid a 2nd or 3rd ACC loss. It's our first division game and one that the team needs desperately. I have us at 2-2/0-2 heading into this game. I think the Jackets get over the hump and win one on a late Butker field goal to finally send Richt off that field as a loser... Tech wins a thriller 27-24...Tech moves to 3-2/1-2 on the season.

Canes' last trip to Grant Field...2014 highlights of Tech's win...

Remember CPJ's first meeting against Miami as HC at Tech in '08?...enjoy!...

How about Tech's HUUUUUGE upset of #3 Miami in South Florida in 2005...

I recall listening to this game in the sticks of Virginia riding home from my son's state championship football game at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. Unbelievably caught a faint signal from a radio station in Augusta, GA. Wes and Kim were fantastic on the call. This game was rescheduled from earlier in the season IIRC due to a real hurricane causing the reschedule.

How about the first game in the series...14-6 Tech win in 1955...

Miami has never won the Coastal Division and has of course never participated in the ACCCG.

Miami hasn't won a MEG since 2006.

From wikipedia, here's snippets from the Nevin Shapiro scandal...

Miami booster Nevin Shapiro, convicted of securities fraud and money laundering from a Ponzi scheme in 2010 and currently serving a 20-year prison sentence, allegedly used investor funds to finance donations to the University of Miami's athletic program, and claims that he gave an estimated $2 million in prohibited benefits to at least 72 current or former football/basketball players and coaches from 2002 to 2010. The Yahoo! Sports report alleges that Shapiro, through his donations, violated at least four major NCAA bylaws:

• Bylaw 11, involving impermissible compensation to coaches;
  • Bylaw 12, involving amateurism of athletes;
  • Bylaw 13, involving improper recruiting activity; and
  • Bylaw 16, involving extra benefits to athletes.[4]
Shapiro saw his involvement as a direct continuation of Luther Campbell's activities. In an interview with Yahoo! Sports, he explained:

Here’s the thing: Luther Campbell was the first uncle who took care of players before I got going. His role was diminished by the NCAA and the school, and someone needed to pick up that mantle. That someone was me. He was ‘Uncle Luke,’ and I became ‘Little Luke.’[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_University_of_Miami_athletics_scandal

This was a loss for me....but you have me fired up, like your outcome so much better!

Break St. Richt's heart, fine with me!!

--------------------------------------------------------

I'll bet our buddy is hard at "thinking work", in drafting a long letter to our head football coach for the upcoming season? This is "case" work, if you know what I'm getting at.

I had this as a toss up
If our D can hold them to less then 24 , I like our odds. If not this may be number 2 of the 3 I think we may lose. But I like this one more then the next game. So I'll say 4-1 next Miami.

I have us 4-1 after this one. With the L being a close loss to Clemson. The Pitt game worries me. I have going 8-4 on the year with losses to Clemson, @ Pitt @Unc and @ VT or Uga.

I hope you guys are right of course. If we are 4-1 thru Oct. 1, I will be elated. 4-1 at that point would set up nicely to be at least 6-2 heading into a tough November. Further, it would be a reflection that both sides of the line are performing much better than last year -- and, possibly we got over the hump and won some close games that we lost a season ago.

I hope you guys are right of course. If we are 4-1 thru Oct. 1, I will be elated. 4-1 at that point would set up nicely to be at least 6-2 heading into a tough November. Further, it would be a reflection that both sides of the line are performing much better than last year -- and, possibly we got over the hump and won some close games that we lost a season ago.
I think both the DL and the OL will play better then last year If we can stay away from the injuries. The only thing I was in the spring game was the WR could not get any Separation. Hope this was because the DB's knew the plays.

I normally hope we stink in the meaningless spring game. That lowers expectations and causes views of gloom and doom among our miserable fanbase. Though, the spring game bears even less meaning than a meaningless exhibition game in late December and ranks just above a vote for a Libertarian Party candidate in the upcoming General Election in terms of importance....barely. ;)

The main objective for the spring game is to get outside and not have to do chores at home for SWMBO for a few hours. If that is accomplished, then it has been a good spring game.

Watching the replay(plug for Bob)in another thread, it did look like the secondary was honed in on the passing game. When the "triple" gets stuffed, it always looks to me like the pass blocking is two notches worse with no element of surprise forthcoming.

It usually takes away votes from the Democrats, when the Libertarian gets some. I'm for Bernie, which places me right below the MEG. It's like being a Tech fan. You know your heart is going to break at some point and you have little chance with the PAC-k.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT