ADVERTISEMENT

5 Guys (not burgers) we need to step up this fall

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
There likely will be some freshmen who come in and have an immediate impact such as AJ Gray in the defensive backfield or a Christian Philpott or Harland Howell at receiver. But, that's a different thread for a different time. Here's 5 guys who are returning players we really need to step up this season in no particular order...

5. Jabari Hunt-Days, Sr., DT, 6'3" 290#
CPJ, CMP, and CTR have been gushing about JHD's abilities and performance against the 1st team O-Line while he was on the scout team serving academic suspension for a season last fall. It continued into spring as more than once CPJ labeled him as "unblockable". CPJ doesn't throw around compliments like that very often. Speaks volumes.

What a disruptive JHD does for Tech in the middle has a significant ripple effect. It opens up opportunities for Gotsis. It plugs the middle along with Gotsis. It allows the middle linebacker the freedom to take some chances and particularly will open holes for blitzing opportunities. It can allow Patrick Gamble to be moved around pending Francis Kallon (not on this list) steps up as well. Most of all, along with Gotsis being disruptive like he normally is, this allows attention to the middle which in turn makes the DE's really happy - Freeman, Chungong, Whitehead, etc., should be getting their share of one-on-one matchups and with their athleticism and quickness you have to like their chances given those scenarios.

4. Shamire Devine, So., OG, 6'7" 365#
Reportedly, Shamire is working his tail off these days to shed some weight and get into the best football shape of his still-young career at Tech. It is make or break time for Shamire in some ways. CPJ has recruited well for the offensive line and there are some guys like R-Fr. Gary Brown just itching to take over this starting role at RG. Devine is mammoth and given good conditioning alongside Errin Joe could make the right side of the O-Line a road grating paving machine for the offense.

3. Ricky Jeune, So., WR, 6'3" 214#
Same height but about 8 pounds lighter than DeAndre Smelter. Will this be a breakout year for Jeune? Will he lay the foundation in 2015 for being that next great big WR out of CPJ's program? That's a lot of weight to throw on a guy I realize who hasn't played many snaps. But, the opportunity is sitting right out in front of him to grasp. There will be strong competition with the freshmen entering. Jeune was a solid prospect himself in HS in New Jersey though. He came out of spring at the top of the WR spot opposite Summers.

If Jeune becomes that go-to WR who can block and be physical, the drop from Smelter and Waller will be lessened significantly while driving more D-Coordinators crazy preparing for Tech. Justin Thomas needs that security blanket where he can go. Jeune fits that mold potentially. If he doesn't step up, like Brown behind Devine, there is quality itching to be "the guy".

2. Errin Joe, Sr., OT, 6'3" 313#
I feel like the experienced Tech O-Line should and will be an absolute strength for Tech. So, why am I listing 2 guys in this top 5 with the need to step up when there are glaring opportunities at other positions (like A-Back)? Well, I feel like CPJ just reloads at that position. I have no worries. In truth, I am not overly worried about Devine or Joe. When the O-Line is doing its thing, with a talent like Thomas at QB, I think CPJ could insert me in at A-Back and we'd still crank out 450+ yards of offense game after game.

Shaq Mason will be hard to replace. Not only his leadership but how often CPJ just ran right behind him play after play after play. Can Joe step in and be that guy? I think he can and I think he will. I can see an All-ACC type of season for Joe and attention from the NFL Draft next spring as a result. If he and Devine combine to be a force, that is some serious size and talent on the right side of the line where Justin and the backs can have a lot of fun.

1. Anthony Harrell, Sr., MLB, 6'3" 237#
Harrell came out of spring atop the depth chart at the MIKE position. Kudos to him. There is some serious talent coming in at the position with this freshman class. Would love to see us redshirt as many of those guys as possible. Harrell registered 19 tackles in 13 games in 2014. If he steps up and stays as the starter, we obviously should see those numbers go up by 5x or more. As mentioned earlier with JHD, if the D-Line performs to its potential, you really have to love the opportunities and freedom to make plays that opens up for this position. Tech will go as its defense goes. The offense just reloads. 4 senior starters with great playmaking abilities in the D-Backfield. The D-Line looks as solid as it has been since 2008 with guys who will be playing on Sundays filling each position. Tech is solid at one OLB spot with All-ACC candidate PJ Davis. That leaves the inside with Harrell and Marcordes who also has an opportunity here in his final campaign at the other OLB spot.

Good luck to all of these guys. I believe they will be pushed significantly by the guys behind them on the post-spring depth chart and in a couple of cases by incoming freshmen who get the labels fans love to throw around of "can't keep him off the field".

you need to find a running back or two ready to step it up as well.

Absolutely. I think at least 3 - perhaps 4 - incoming freshmen have a fantastic opportunity to gain significant playing time across the 3 running back positions.

I think what happens in a spring game is one of the most overblown things in CFB. Having said that, I liked what I saw from Willis. The fact he nailed down the #1 spot at one of the AB positions during spring is partly because we didn't return much at the position but the fact he sees the opportunity and is stepping up. Like I said in the original post, CPJ just reloads at the AB positions. Among Allen/Skov + 3 freshmen I think we'll find some rock toters who will be just fine at BB. If the O-Line performs like it did last year, we'll roll offensively. That, keep JT healthy, and find a reliable WR (or two) to keep defenses honest.

Will post a thread on incoming freshmen later in the week. I am intrigued to see what Cottrell brings to the table early on in August at AB. He has the added ability of being a huge threat in the return game, which would relieve Golden of added work, keeping Jamal more fresh during games, and avoid injury to a key defensive back who will be playing on Sundays in the future.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT