ADVERTISEMENT

2 potential land mines in Tech's FB schedule

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
October 17 home vs Pitt and October 31 at Virginia.

A case can be made for either at Duke or home vs UNC as well, but considering we lost to both last year I think the guys will be jacked up for those games. CPJ certainly will.

The home Pitt game is a classic sandwich game. That is, sitting between huge games at Clemson and home vs FSU. Throw in that Tech handled Pitt at Heinz Field last season and the opportunity for a look-past to FSU is certainly in play and/or letdown coming off Clemson. Further, Tech can't expect Pitt to hand the ball over on its first 5 possessions like it did last season. Pitt returns Tyler Boyd and the ACC's player of the year in James Connor. Each are projected 1st round draft picks in the 2016 NFL draft.

After the 3-game stretch of at Clemson and then home for Pitt and FSU, Tech travels to Scott Sisson Stadium to meet the French where they always seem to give Tech fits. The opportunity for letdown is just dripping. Virginia very possibly may be 2-5 on the season and fighting for its life - as well as Mike London's job.

It is definitely a challenging schedule which will require the Jackets to stay on top of its game every single week. After the first two games, if Tech brings anything less than its "A game", then it will not be pretty.

the team will need some good leadership and will need some players to step up and fill some gaps from the graduating seniors

Agreed. I think this time last year there was understood concern from the Tech fanbase regarding the volume of offseason attrition. Looking back though, I think it was a blessing in disguise. I think CPJ was able to run off some guys who were taking away from the team chemistry and were distractions. Others created their own path out. What was left was a team very focused with less distractions and seniors who wanted to go out with a great final season.

Tech was the hunter and now it is the hunted. This will be JT's team more than last year. At least offensively. Defensively, no worries. We may start as many as 8 seniors on that side of the ball. These guys tasted what it is like last year and are driven to build on that success. For us fans though, I understand any cynicism and prove-it-to-me viewpoints that may exist. We've seen all too often double digit win seasons followed by underachievement. That was then, this is now.

While the schedule is very difficult, getting the first 2 games at home where we can make some mistakes and still register a win while working out some kinks and getting some guys a much needed introduction to big time CFB before going to South Bend is very helpful.

My experience leads me to believe there will be some players ready to take the ball when Thomas wants them to have it. It just is interesting to see who that will be.

The schedule will be a hard one to get the Orange Bowl again this year. If that's where the team wants to go, then they need a very workman like attitude, nobody is going to roll over for them. They must work hard everyday and earn their way back.

ADVERTISEMENT