ADVERTISEMENT

10 Weeks to Toe Meets Leather...Game 3 Preview: Vanderbilt

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
The 2015 version of the Commodores in HC Derek Mason's 2nd year saw them finish 4-8 overall and 2-6 in the SEC. The 2 SEC wins were at home over Missouri and Kentucky. At times, they played pretty good defense. But offensively, they were rather offensive like Boston College as outlined in a Game 1 preview thread. This will also be Vandy's 3rd game - their first road game, after hosting South Carolina and Middle Tennessee to open the season.

Game Info: 12:30, ACC Network

Last Meeting: 2009, at Vanderbilt, GT wins 56-31

All-time Series: GT leads 19-15-3, GT is 12-0-1 in last 13 going back to 1948...Vandy won the first 4 in the series that goes back to 1892...Vandy won 7 straight between 1929 and 1935

Vanderbilt Offense: Thought BC's 2015 offensive stats were bad? Try Vandy. Finished 124th in scoring ppg at 15.2. Of course, BC scored 76 on Howard and Vandy scored 47 of its 182 total points on the season in a win over Austin Peay. No surprise, Vandy's offense finished 117th in yards per game at 326.5 and 120th in yards per play at 4.50. Vandy returns 8 starters on offense - just like their defense - and hopes to make big strides on that side of the ball. This will be the 3rd straight game to open the season for the Yellow Jacket defense where it can and hopefully will feast on an offense where we should - and I stress "should" - have the upper hand. Let's hope so, because after this game the potential #1 and #2 picks (QB's Watson at Clemson and Kaaya at Miami) in next spring's NFL draft are coming to Grant Field in the next 2 games.

Vanderbilt Defense: Like BC, Vandy's D was their saving grace a season ago. This will be the 2nd of 3 opening games where our offense will face a stout defense. VU was 21st last year in points allowed per game at 21.0. Vandy was 28th in the nation if yards allowed per game at 350.5 and tied for 33rd in yards per play allowed at 5.17. Vandy held 7 of its 12 opponents last year to under 20 points scored.

What I Expect To Happen: This will be another tough game for the Jackets, just like the BC opener. However, playing at home will be the difference. I expect Tech's offense to have worked out some "kinks" by this game and as long as the Jackets don't foolishly overlook Vandy towards the upcoming game 5 days later hosting Clemson (who may be receiving some #1 votes in polls) on Thursday night, I think Tech wins by 2 TD's... Tech wins 24-10... Tech moves to 2-1/0-1 on the season.

Next Up: Clemson, Thursday Sep. 22, 7:30, ESPN

I've got us 3-0 at this point, but only if the Ireland site stays as planned.
The two touchdown margin agrees with my 28-14. You are probably correct forecasting a Butker field goal. Maybe we can get 31? Seems to bee a good point total for us winning games in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT