ADVERTISEMENT

1 Week to Toe Meets Leather...Game 11 Preview: Virginia (and G12 at Cesspool)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
And the Bronco Mendenhall era begins at Massah Jeffuhsun's Univuhsity. Yawn!

Game Info: Nov. 19, Time and TV TBA...Senior Day for Tech...JT5's last game on Grant Field...the Cavs will be coming in off their final home game of the season against the Canes...they finish at the 2 Techs...the ACC schedule is relatively weak this date as several teams are playing non-conference games...other ACC games include Duke at Pitt, Miami at NC State, FSU at Syracuse, and Clemson at Wake

Last Meeting: Virginia defeated Tech 27-21 at Scott Sisson Stadium...it was the Clinton Lynch Show for Tech as he scored all 3 of our TD's...the 2nd one late in the 1st half gave the Jackets a 14-10 lead heading into the halftime locker room...but, the Wahoos scored 17 unanswered pts to take a 27-14 lead early in the 4Q to go on to win, though Lynch scored his final TD with 1:41 left to give Tech some hope at the end and make the final margin look better than the miserable 2nd half really was

All-time Series: Tech's loss last season trims our lead to a slim 19-18-1 margin...since being upset at BDS in CPJ's first season on the Flats in '08, Tech has reeled off 3 straight home wins against UVA...and all were pretty convincing wins by 12, 36 and 25 pts

Cavs Offense: Mendenhall is keeping mum for the most part on who will be the starting QB. I figure it will be the returning signal caller, Matt Johns. But, with a new HC and staff, who knows? Johns throws a lot of INT's and makes a lot of dumb decisions. I think the main threat in the UVA offense will be Sr. ball-carrier, Smoke Mizzell. He was a 5-star recruit out of the fertile Tidewater area out of HS. This is his chance to show the NFL people he can raise his stock.

Cavs Defense: Mendenhall brought his D-Coord., Nick Howell, with him from BYU to lead the Cavs D. Former ECU HC, Ruffin McNeill, who was surprisingly fired at ECU, was hired to run the D-Line. UVA finished 79th in the nation in Total D a year ago and 96th in pts allowed per game at 32.2, so safe to say Howell has his work cut out for him rebuilding this D.

What I Expect to Happen: If my objective attempts at predictions so far are correct (5-5 heading into this game...I hope we are better than that), this will be a huge game for Tech's chances to start another meaningless exhibition game streak back up. I think UVA fans will see some glimpses of improvement from the mediocre past in Mendenhall's first year, but truthfully - and I may eat major crow on this 5 years from now - I was not impressed with his hiring at all. I think JT5 on Senior Day and crew get it done in one of Tech's better performances of the season. Tech wins 42-17...Tech moves to 6-5/3-5.

I'm not spending any time previewing or talking about the Cheating Scum to the East. Not worthy of my time and you folks know more than you need to about the Cesspool. I think Tech will keep this game close into the 4Q as we normally do. Can we get over the hump? Probably not. I'll objectively pick Tech to lose a low-scoring game, 17-14 and finish the regular season 6-6/3-5.

More Tech destruction of UVA in Atlanta...this time in 2010...

Or this...

(and kudos to Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal, who I have built a great respect for over the last year for some wise decisions he has made...I'll leave it at that)

Wonderful job putting all 12 games together! A dozen or more thank you's from me to you!!

Agree on the split in the prediction process(winning game 11 and losing to the scum). Wish we could reverse it or take both games over to the victory column.

I see a M.E.G. like the Pinstripe or possibly a little better. My compass has been pointing towards 2017, 2018. Hopefully, this season surprises us all! In a positive way!!

If Tech gets good production from our O-Line, my prediction goes to 8-4/5-3. I'm in an I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it mode right now.

Winning in Ireland would already improve over my forecasts as I have/had us losing to BC. I'll stick by that prediction for now with obvious hopes I am way wrong.

More keys...

-JT5 staying healthy...this season spirals without him as we have no reliable depth behind him
-Getting some kind of pass rush from the D-Line...we can't go another season with QB's standing back there with 622 hours to find receivers
-Limit turnovers offensively (and this includes JT5...he needs to do much better in this area...take the loss if needed...protect the ball when running in open field)
-Stay healthier than a season ago...seems pretty obvious, but has to be mentioned

Let me throw in the special teams and kicking game, along with those record setting field goals that were had against us costing two games. Rodwell has to do better, when we are forced to punt. Can't do much worse. The blocking on returns and the tackling on coverage will be better under CLO and staff.

The injuries, while still being a predominantly young team can't be controlled(other than having given many players opportunities last year, which was good and already pointed out above this post).

FWIW, UVA HC Bronco Mendenhall just announced his starting QB will be ECU-transfer, Kurt Benkert.

[QUOTE="GTJT622, post: 216665, member: 1978"
Winning in Ireland would already improve over my forecasts as I have/had us losing to BC. I'll stick by that prediction for now with obvious hopes I am way wrong.

/QUOTE]
BC will not be an easy game. I think we win but if not I remember 1998 and that was a pretty good year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT